Thursday, January 18, 2007

Mommy Flushes My Port

Jayden has had a port that is placed under the skin since last May. When he first got the port his seizures were totally out of control and it needed to be accessed at least once a week. UCSF trained me to access Jayden's port as needed to give the hospital IV access for meds to help stop seizures. Since his VNS we haven't had to use the port as often. But boy are we all glad he has it. Today marks the 4th time I have had to flush it at home. Every 30 days, if the port hasn't been accessed at all, I have to flush it with heprin. This keeps the blood from clotting. This pictures shows Jayden with the needle in patiently waiting for me to finish. He's a good sport! Big sister Jeana helped me by holding his arms down. And don't worry, it doesn't hurt because Mommy puts numbing creme on it first. Isn't it amazing how we as parents do what we have to do to help our children? I never would've thought that I would be doing all these things.

2 comments:

Jody said...

It is amazing to see what us parents are capable of when it comes to our kids! We are so proud of you for all that you for Jayden and for how hard you work with him. It will pay off! You are a true inspiration to us!!! We love you!

blessed said...

Yes, you are an inspiration! What a cutie! He looks like a great cuddler like Faith! God Bless! Serabias