Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Second Chance At Life

This morning my husband with teary eyes came into the bedroom and woke me up to show me the wonderful article written about Jayden in the Stockton Record by Joe Goldeen. Jose is a tough guy, but the article touched his heart. A couple of months ago Jayden's Neurologist Hutch asked me if I would be willing to share Jayden's story. Cyberonics, the company that makes the VNS, wanted to share success stories with the public. There are so many people out there that don't even know what a vagus nerve stimulator is. For our family it's a life saver. When Jayden's seizure started to worsen it never occured to me to describe them as life threatening. I guess that is nothing short of denial on my part. On any given occasion a seizure can be life threatening. Especially when they are lasting a minimum of 45 minutes! A good example would be John Travolta's son. He had a history of seizures, still no one would've thought that a seizure would take his life. Jayden's underlying cause for his seizures is still a mystery. But this doesn't change the fact that he is an awesome boy! It is amazing to me that a boy who has never uttered a word can send such a huge message and touch peoples hearts. I find strength to get through each day just by looking into Jayden's eyes. He makes me a better Mom, wife, and person. I think as we go through life we tend to take things for granted. Jayden helps keep us grounded. We are grateful for everyday that we have him. We are grateful that God chose us as a family to take care of Jayden and He keeps finding ways for us to tell Jayden's story. Special thanks to Hutch for thinking of Jayden as a success story, Colleen for contacting all the right people, Joe Goldeen for writing a great article, and all of you for following Jayden's progress. We appreciate and love you all.

No comments: