Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Learning About The G-tube

Learning about the g-tube is simple in some ways and more difficult in others. I was a little nervous at first because I knew that touching the g-tube would hurt because it was so new. They literally poked a hole in his stomach. That's got to hurt! But after Jayden's nurse took the time to teach me how to take care of it and how to push meds through I felt very confident. My Mom and my niece Erica came to visit Jayden at UCSF. Erica took pictures of the nurse giving me instructions.
The small clear thing in the middle of his stomach is the g-tube. To use the g-tube I attach a piece of tubing to it which allows me to either feed him his pediasure via a pump or use a syringe to give him medicine or water. Every child is different and can tolerate the feeds at different rates. We are still playing with Jayden's feeds. Ultimately it is up to me to figure out how much and how fast Jayden can tolerate the feed. It's a work in progress. The coolest moment was when the nurse gave his meds through the tube for the first time. He didn't have to taste that yucky stuff and that was awesome!

No comments: