Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Home Nursing

Well after we made it through our fun birthday weekend things kind of went down hill. I called Dr. Cahill to let her know that Jayden was STILL not eating or drinking ANYTHING. I didn't want him back in the hospital because of the flu season. If I could just get some fluid in him... I suggested home nursing. I thought a nurse could come out, access his port, stay for an hour while he got some fluid in him. Instead what did I get? I got a nurse who came out and watched me access the port, he then decided that since I could do that I could run the pump myself :0
It was time for a crash course in running an IV pump. Nursing 101 here I come! At first I was in shock, but after I wrapped my brain around what he was telling me it kind of became fun. It was definately a challenge and I am glad I did it. I would've been even happier if the whole event had kept him out of the hospital. After 2 bags of IV fluid Jayden threw up. He was coughing and gagging so hard that he couldn't keep it down. The next morning he was admitted to the hospital here locally. He was there until Thanksgiving afternoon. My Mom was wonderful enough to come to my house early that morning and cook Thanksgiving dinner for me and my family. Jayden was sick a total of 4 weeks. He even missed what should've been his first week of school. He's much better now.

No comments: